Lazy Person's Guide to Homemade Bread (Part 3) -- Vegan Whole Wheat Bread

Great Lakes Select Honey, 32-Ounce Plastic Flat (Pack of 3)
I personally love love love my whole wheat honey bread that I make in my bread maker (find the recipe in this post).  Because of that no-honey-before-one-year-old business, I tried making my bread with sugar instead of honey so I could give it to the baby, but it was so sad in comparison to my usual bread that I couldn't make the switch.  My sister, however, is vegan and makes a delicious loaf of whole wheat bread with NO HONEY!  Here is her amazingly nutritious and delicious recipe (warning: this bread is very filling).


Natalie’s Vegan Whole Wheat Bread

Add ingredients into bread machine in the following order:
2 1/8 cups water (room temp)
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
3-4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten *
      (* if needed – depends on protein content of wheat)
2+ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce or oil
1/2 cup flaxseed (ground)
3 cups high protein whole wheat (ground)
Makes a very large loaf, too large for many bread machines. Natalie uses a Breadman Bread Machine.

NOTE: If a very high protein wheat is not available, more wheat gluten will need to be added to the wheat flour. Natalie buys a 17% protein whole wheat at the Bosch kitchen center. Find more suggestions for buying wheat berries in this post.

4 comments:

  1. I just began a love affair with my breadmaker, so I can't wait to come back here and sit a spell.

    So far the most amazing bread I have made was white. I have yet to find a fantastic wheat one. But this one - oh my good glory gracious.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Bread/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe does look good, and simple! I'd like to know what bread machine that loaf came out of, b/c it looks a lot snazzier than mine does. My buttermilk white bread is also truly delicious, in my humble opinion. It disappears pretty quickly. I like to make french toast with it a few days after I make it, but often there isn't enough left to do that. I make it as a special treat to go with soups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Agave nectar instead of honey? I use it alot b/c here in Calgary I find honey crystallizes very, very fast. Agave nectar doesn't have that issue at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never tried agave nectar, but you should and tell me how it goes! I have never found a sweetener that makes the texture as nice as honey does -- something about the viscosity. Also, my honey used to crystallize all the time, but now it never does - not sure if it's b/c I'm going through it faster or b/c I'm pouring it frequently.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Please leave a comment!
I read all comments and try to respond to questions in a timely manner.
Comments are now moderated due to spam overload and have to be approved (by me) - so don't worry if your comment does not appear immediately after you publish it.

CONNECT WITH ME





© 2008-2020 Eco-novice: Going Green Gradually All Rights Reserved

Copyright © Eco-novice | Powered by Blogger

Design by Anders Noren | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com